The TYC Women’s Forum is a recently formed interest group within the The Triangle Yale Club (TYC), a proactive alumni organization for graduates of Yale University (the college and its graduate programs) deeply invested in fellowship, community, service, and support for local alumni. The mission of the broader organization is to create and maintain a vibrant community of Yale alumni and their families and friends in the Triangle area and Eastern NC.
In July of 2012 the TYC was revitalized under new direction and the leadership team identified an opportunity to develop interest groups within the broader Club. Initial idea development for the Women’s Forum began in 2013, and the group was formalized in the Summer of 2013 with the identification of advisors, co-chairs, development of the Forum’s mission and planning for internal and external events with other local Alumni organizations.
PURPOSE & LEADERSHIP
The Yale Women’s Forum (YWF) is a social network for women alumni of Yale University who currently live and/or work in the Triangle area. The group aims to engage and connect local alumni in events and activities that will foster the development of meaningful relationships centered on career, family and other common interests. We hope to provide resources that will enable local women to become successful leaders in their chosen field and support them in their personal interests.
Forum Leadership Team
TYC Women’s Forum Advisor’s: Nellie Shipley (TYC President) and Faith Herndon (TYC VP)
TYC Women’s Forum Co-chairs: Lauren E. Warren and TBD
Official Kick-off the TYC Women’s Forum, Sunday, Nov. 3rd, 6:00 PM, Bar at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in Cary
Ivy+ Women’s Event with Local Alumni Clubs, Wednesday, Nov. 13th, 6:45 PM, St. Mary’s School, Large Parlor in Raleigh
ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
Several activities and events have been identified as potential ways to engage Forum members. This list is meant to act as a starting point for future discussions and to support idea generation at the upcoming kick-off event this Fall.
- Speaker Series: Identify local women who have interesting and impactful stories to share on business success, women in / outside of the workplace, life transitions, entrepreneurship, etc.
- Book Series: Develop a bi-monthly book club that focuses on a relevant topic area for members, books could include Lean In, How Remarkable Women Lead, etc.
- Social Events + Networking: To support networking identify local events or venues that appeal
to the group including cocktail hours, dinners, local sponsored events, etc.
- Female Mentoring: Develop a one-on-one mentoring program where Forum members can
sign-up to participate and be matched based on similar interests and areas of expertise
- Skills & Support Network: Develop a portal for Forum members to share their areas of expertise to foster connection among women as they need support on any professional related activities (i.e., someone looking to develop a website could have a contact through the Forum as a starting place)
Additional activities may be planned with the Ivy+ Women’s group to supplement internal events.
MEMBERSHIP & COMMUNICATIONS
Membership in the group is primarily an informal process. Interested members can reach out to the co-chair’s as interested in helping to organize or participating in events. All events will be open to TYC women members, and as appropriate other Ivy+ members and friends.
Communications will be distributed via the website and TYC email list. A LinkedIn group may be developed to aid easier communication and discussion among members, as well as foster networking opportunities among group members.